Thursday, January 31, 2013

The 2002-03 Raiders: 10 Years Later




Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Jerry Porter, Charlie Garner, Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, Barry Sims, Lincoln Kennedy, Frank Middleton, Mo Collins, John Parrella, Regan Upshaw, Napoleon Harris, Eric Barton, Anthony Dorsett, Tory James, Charles Woodson, Bill Romanowski,  Rod Woodson, and a young Sebastian Janikowski and Shane Lechler. Those names are the notable ones when the 2002-03 Raiders roster comes to mind. Most of the names mentioned were talented that contributed to the Super Bowl run during the 2002 season, of course the list consisted of Hall of Famers, inducted or will be nominated in the future. 




10 years, 10 long years since that faithful Super Bowl run. I believe I was 9 at that time. I first became a Raider fan since they made the playoffs in the 2000 season, of course my older brother exposed me to one or two games and loved them ever since. But to reflect on the 10 year anniversary since the Raiders made the trip to Super Bowl XXXVII, it is something special, yet bitter at the same time considering they lost that Super Bowl to Tampa Bay (ironically who was coached by Jon Gruden). I didn't find out Chucky was the coach of the Bucs until 9 or so years later when I looked it up for show and tell. These Raiders were special and to finally reach the Super Bowl after two seasons of frustrating playoff exits (vs. the Baltimore Ravens in 2000-01 AFC Championship Game, vs. the New England Patriots in the 2001-02 Divisional Round aka "The Tuck Rule Game"), it was a great feeling to witness my team in the Super Bowl in my lifetime. If I remember any games during that season, I only remember the opener @ Denver (by the time they were on a 4 game losing streak), vs. NY Jets (Tim Brown catch 1,000 game), vs. Kansas City (Out in the pouring rain and mud), vs. NY Jets again in the Divisional Round, vs. Tennessee in the AFC Championship, and finally vs. Tampa Bay in Super Bowl XXXVII. It was an unbelievable season because of how potent the offense was. Rich Gannon breaking records and posting up MVP numbers, eventually winning the league MVP, the Brown-Rice deadly combination, and you got Jerry Porter, Charlie Garner, Zack Crockett, and Tyrone Wheatley as the secret weapons, the Silver and Black avalanche as Greg Papa described them in one game. 

What separates this team than the following Raider teams is that this was the last team to play in the silver and black with heart and dedication. This team never fucked around, they had no quit, especially when they were on that 4 or 5 losing streak that season, they responded and won their last few games to clinch the AFC West and the #1 Playoff seed. That was dedication, the commitment to winning, not to 0-16, not to 1-15, not to 2-14, not to 3-13, not to 4-12, not to 5-11, not to 6-10, not to 7-9, and certainly not to just 8-8, .500. I don't care if they lost that Super Bowl, that team was the heart and soul and after SB 37, it went away for the last 10 years. This was my generation of a great Raiders team and no matter, they'll always be champions in my opinion. 

I know we are overdue for a playoff game, but I know it's not going to happen this year or next year, but as long as the Raiders have a foundation, we could build something. As for the fairweather fans that want McKenzie and Allen gone, just shut up. Do you want to be set back to rebuilding more? I know Hue Jackson took us 8-8, one win from a playoff spot, but after Hue Jackson's firing, if we keep the same personnel for 4-5 years, we will get there and add a fourth Lombardi trophy to that case. 

About the whole thing with Tim Brown accusing Bill Callahan for sabotaging the Super Bowl. I have no comments on that, but I think we all know Callahan did not change up Chucky's playbook. It's 10 years, I don't want to hear excuses that happened, I just want to cherish this moment, yet look into the future because the Raiders have a future, we just gotta keep it consistent. We'll be back, we just gotta preach patience. Until then, win, lose, or tie, Raiders till I die. Till next season.


No comments: