Friday, August 9, 2013

Quick Hit on Cowboys vs. Raiders

Yes yes I know, I said I wouldn't post any preseason games, but you know what? I freakin' miss posting football results so I'm going to post up on today's preseason opener vs. the Cowboys and hopefully this post helps give you guys the feel on the direction where my blog is currently heading right now.

So the Raiders pulled it out against the Cowboys 17-19, way better display of exhibition than last year's opener where it was 3-0 and we managed to get a better feel on the state of the team, who stood out and who didn't stand out and even though it's the first preseason game, I'm impressed and there were a lot of things that stood out.

So first off I would like to say, it is so so good to see C Wood back in that silver and black uniform in the Coliseum. Man did I feel nostalgic like it was the Gannon-Gruden era all over again except C Wood and Sebass are the last of that era's kind (wish we retained Lechler too to complete it, but we couldn't and that sucks). Moving that aside I do see the competition in the quarterback position and in the running back position (who gets to be in the backseat of Darren McFadden that is). All 4 of our quarterbacks were in double figures, which is good because we see a feel of that competition in that position in this game. Matt Flynn, shaky start and I mean a fumble in the early goings to give the Cowboys an early edge, but I love the response back drive completing passes to D Moore and Streater and the hand offs to Jennings, which is not bad. TP and Matt McGloin did put on great displays. TP as usual, very exciting to watch as usual, showed much improvement, well a little aside from that bad INT in the red zone, TP had a good showing completing 60% of his passes for 88 yards and rushed for 31 yards. Matt McGloin, very impressive showing; I heard a lot of reports about him that he's beating out Tyler Wilson for the 3rd string and he might be showing it managed to put up our first TD with a 30 yard pass to Brice Butler and Butler put up a great showing too, 70 yards in just 2 receptions, definitely proving to be a diamond in the rough in the draft.

It is really going to be one heated battle between Rashad Jennings and Latavius Murray and so far Jennings threw the first punch in round 1. Again, the battle to back up McFadden. Jennings did get most of the rock getting 9 touches for 39 yards and Latavius Murray had 8 carries for 29 yards, statistically comparable between the two and it's definitely in my prediction another position to watch out for because unlike the quarterback position, this is not gonna be won by knockout, but it will go all the way to 12 rounds (all 4 preseason games, hope you guys enjoyed my boxing analogy).

The defense hoo boy, I gotta say the run defense and the pass rush was not good and it's definitely a harbinger for our defense as the season rolls on. Other than that, Sio Moore, I want to see more! And by that I mean, how he blasted Tony Romo in the Cowboys' first drive for his first sack in the NFL and as a Raider and Romo's O-line was protecting him so well (credit to the secondary for the tight coverage), but man Sio does bring the energy and I see him winning the Sam LB position to go along with Nick Roach and Kevin Burnett, who I think will be the default Middle and Weakside LBs heading into Week 1. Let me note Usama Young also, who recorded 1 INT and returned for 21 yards, I think DA wants to keep C Wood fresh, no doubt Woodson is going to be the starting safety, but I think DA will keep using Young at certain plays to keep C Wood fresh off the field or if DA wants to play C Wood at another defensive position, that's just my speculation and it would make sense to give C Wood plenty of rest if Young can perform well in the safety position, which I believe he is capable of, I mean over 220 tackles in his career, enough said.

Anyway just felt like posting and see you guys on Week 1 against the Indianapolis Colts. Oh yeah I may post my regular season preview either directly after the 3rd preseason game or the last one, I don't know yet so keep track of that. As always, GO RAIDERS!

No comments: