Friday, April 29, 2016

Oakland Raiders 2016 NFL Draft Selections (Rounds 2-3)


Round 2 Pick 44: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois


Highlights:




Comment: Now keep in mind, I don't follow college football a lot. Last year I did because I was high on Amari Cooper coming to Oakland, so I kept following some Alabama games. Since I don't follow too much college football, this pick was a head scratcher to me even though Mike Mayock loves his story and how he worked his way up. The Raiders value good stories, but there were a couple of better defensive end/defensive tackle prospects on the board like A'Shawn Robinson, Jarren Reed, Andrew Billings; they could've waited in the 3rd round to select Sheldon Day out of Notre Dame (I'm just following what mock drafts say, scouts, PFF, etc.). When I saw his highlights and game tape against Perdue and Iowa, it was a little "meh." Like I said, Reggie and Jack love versatile players and Ward can play both the DE and DT position on the defensive line. PFF graded him high in terms of run stopping. Pass rush? I heard his pass rush fell off and according to the NFL draft profile, he's not a counter pass rusher because when one technique doesn't work, he'll just give up on the fly. But I have full faith and confidence that he'll be coached up under Del Rio, Norton, and Jethro Franklin. A lot of people are comparing this pick to the Mario Edwards, Jr. pick last year, but I thought MEJ's highlights and tape were more convincing to see when he the Raiders drafted him. Again, this is my opinion, this pick was a little "meh." I wasn't too convinced on his tape and highlights, but I trust the coaching staff to coach him up to his potential. 


Round 3 Pick 75: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State


Highlights:



Comment: I've seen Shilique Calhoun's name pop up in a couple of 7-round mock drafts. So, for Day 2, the Raiders decide to use Rounds 2-3 to beef up the defensive line. And like the old saying goes in football: "you can never have to many pass rushers." Calhoun had quite the production in the sacks department with 27 sacks in his four-year collegiate career at Michigan State. He finished amassing 100+ tackles, five fumble recoveries, and an interception. When you see his highlights, he looks like an absolute beast in getting after the quarterback, but the more game tape you see of Calhoun, there's a mismatch. Even though he's good in pass rushing, he has a hard time stuffing the run. So, most likely, he'll be a situational pass-rusher as 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB and the Raiders run a hybrid of both. This pick, I can live with even though I was hoping the Raiders would use a 3rd round pick for a complementary running back to Murray like a Devontae Booker. This is a solid pick. I would say I like this pick more than Jihad Ward selection in the 2nd round, but they're both good depth picks to beef up the D-Line and make this pass-rush even more scary with Mack, Irvin, and Aldon Smith.

No comments: