Sunday, September 2, 2018

Raiders Trade Khalil Mack to Chicago Bears *Rant*


I'm still sighing in disbelief as I type this post. I was on my way to a convention in Sacramento yesterday when I found out the Raiders have traded Khalil Mack to the Chicago Bears for two future first round picks. If you guys haven't been following the off-season, Mack has been a no-show in mandatory mini camp and training camp. Neither Mack nor the Raiders made any progress to a contract extension. The blame game got passed around. The trade rumors were heating up and they finally came to past yesterday with this shocking trade.

I'll tell you the problem with this. The Raiders are taking a risk in trading their once-in-a-generational talent for two first round picks that may or may not pan out. In the past, they've fired a lot of blanks with first round picks and I was a part of all those years of mediocrity as a fan. Drafting Mack in 2014 was a blessing in disguise. Along with Derek Carr that draft, he represented that game-changing face for a franchise that was shrouded with mediocrity and dysfunction. You talk about three straight pro bowls, Defensive Player of the Year. You don't trade a once-in-generational talent, a future hall-of-famer even if it's for multiple 1st round picks! Yes I heard how the Cowboys built their dynasty in the 90's. The Eagles went through similar stuff trading/releasing their star players and they rebuilt their roster well to spark a Super Bowl run. But, how often does that happen? Once in a blue moon? Not many teams can replicate that formula and draft picks are boom-or-bust. The Raiders can have a full seven round draft, but it's gonna be difficult to replace a talent of Mack's caliber.

It's absolutely sickening to hear of Raider Nation turning their backs on a franchise-altering player like him. "The defense sucked with him." Name somebody outside of Bruce Irvin that gave him some legit help off the edge! The defensive unit around Mack was trash. The Defensive Coordinators, I'm talking about Jason Tarver and Ken Norton Jr., were complete garbage! We can talk about Derek Carr and those comebacks from 2016. Mack was just as important in the clutch. When the Raiders needed a stop to give Carr and the offense a chance to come back or when the pressure was on the defense to win them the game. Mack came through whether he was double-teamed or triple-teamed! Have we forgotten how he took over the game in Denver in 2015 with 5 sacks? The strip sack and fumble recovery on Cam Newton against Carolina in 2016? The timely sack on Alex Smith on Thursday Night to set up that unbelievable finish against the Chiefs last season? I was sick to my stomach when I heard those comments. "Oh if you love Mack, jump ship to the Bears you fake fan." They say loyalty is a two-way street. Being fake goes both ways too! I would've understood the backlash if he walked away as a free agent. To turn against him like that, there's no words to defend that. I usually don't like players who hold out, but at the same time I understand why they hold out. They got family to think about. They're thinking about being financially secured when they retire. I even understand not a lot of them don't put their money to good use. But, Mack put in the work. He's been consistently good year-after-year, never missed a game. He deserved a raise.

As much as I like to rant, I understand the NFL is a business. The business is a game of "keep as many you can." I think I mentioned that two offseasons ago. The Raiders didn't have the cap room to give him the mega deal now. Nobody knows who's gonna talk first. They traded him. The Bears had the money to pay him what he wants. He's signed on to a 6-year $141 million deal. It is what it is. Like I said, the Raiders can have as many 1st round picks, it's not always going to equate to the elite talent and HOF potential that Khalil Mack has now. The NFL is a different animal than college football.  As a Raiders fan, thank you Khalil Mack for being the franchise-altering player we've waited for since 2003. And if they find a talent that matches the talent you have, I hope they get it sooner than later. By any means!



*Well, at least the Lakers bought out Luol Deng's fat contract finally.*

No comments: